Saturday, July 9, 2011

The best laid plans...

Posted by Picasa
This weekend I was supposed to be in Carson, CA to take classes
with the fabulous Teesha Moore and then attend the Carson Stamp
show. My family left at the beginning of the week for 2 weeks so
this was a great break for me in the middle of their trip.
I was going there with my very good friend Lisa who was really
excited to be going to her very first art retreat. We spent all Weds
e-mailing back and forth, what clothes do we need? are you taking
a jacket? will it be cold in the classroom? what art supplies should
we take? is toothpaste a liquid? etc.

Thursday I drove over to her house then we went off to the
airport, it was not busy there as we had checked in online
and we were carrying our bags on, there was only 1 person
in front of us at the security check point, we were so excited!
We got lunch then went at sat by our gate for the flight. Twenty
minutes before the flight the gate person apologized to us for
our wait, we were puzzled, then told us that our flight was at a
different gate. We rushed over to the new gate, which was not
close by and then saw our flight had been delayed, oh no! We
patiently sat there and kept listening to the announcements telling
us when the next update would be. After several times of
extending the delay it was finally announced that they had
cancelled the flight, nothing else was said or offered to us.
Luckily Lisa had got us on standby for the next flight but alas
after waiting and waiting that one was full. Whilst waiting for
that one we had made a reservation for the last one, that one
ended up also being delayed to the point we were told we could
fly to another city or go in the morning. This was when we looked
at each other and decided that this was just not meant to be, Lisa
called her husband and he came and picked us up.

So I arrived home all alone with the bags I had packed that same
morning, feeling really, really upset that we did not get to go. The
next morning we decided that we would go out for a nice lunch
and then get together to work in our art journals. We had a great
lunch out with a delicious dessert and then today spent most of
the day with another friend playing in our journals and had lunch
delivered to my house.

Thursday was not a great day but I could not have spent the day
with a better person, thanks Lisa :)


6 comments:

Nancy Lynn said...

I so feel your pain Marlene. I have been a sad sack all weekend. Sherry has been tweeting me and sending pictures of what Tim is demoing.

Lisa V said...

I"m so very bummed that we missed Teesha's class but today made up for some of it......as did that wonderful dessert at lunch yesterday! LOL I'm glad we were stuck there together at least. And it was kind of fun people-watching... :)

Lisa V said...

I"m so very bummed that we missed Teesha's class but today made up for some of it......as did that wonderful dessert at lunch yesterday! LOL I'm glad we were stuck there together at least. And it was kind of fun people-watching... :)

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Hi Marlene ~ So sorry to hear that you missed the class you were looking forward to, but glad to know you made the best of it by scrapbooking the day away!

Netty said...

I feel so sorry for you Marlene with all the exciting build up to have it fall flat like that. Your page is great. Glad you had a smashing time with your friend. Take care, Annette x

Jane said...

Ahhhh. Such a sad story. I am consistently hearing how tough travel is these days. All of our flights to and from North Carolina last week were a nightmare. I'm glad you found alternate plans, even tho they paled by comparison...